When it comes to your life, these are the beliefs that guide me:
- The Universe gives you exactly what you need, when you need it, and no sooner.
- Everyone has a story to tell.
- Everyone has a gift to give—in the form of talent and wisdom. Genius is in everyone.
- We create our own luck.
- Your body doesn’t lie. Listen to it.
- Beauty (e.g., flowers) is a source of joy.
- Most problems can be solved with a long walk.
- What we do matters, even though we will never know the full impact of our actions on others.
- Feedback is a good thing. Give it frequently and thoughtfully. Receive it openly.
- Everyone makes mistakes. It’s the recovery that matters.
- Most people are doing the best they can, in the situation they find themselves.
The beliefs that guide how I conduct business:
- Give value.
- Work only with people who have integrity.
- Reputation matters. Always take the high road. Work with impeccable integrity.
- Bad clients are not worth the money. What I gain in money, I lose double in energy.
- Everything I do as a business owner says something about me.
- Follow my sweet spot. Just because I can do something doesn’t mean I should.
- Giving and receiving must be balanced to keep the flow going.
- My business has to fit with my life in order for it to thrive.
These last two beliefs are fairly new, based on my experience with burnout.
I recently told someone that the books you read say a lot about who you are. Even more telling is what you believe. It's why success is an inside job. (Yes, that's a belief, as well.)
What are the beliefs that guide your life and your work?